Enterprise Systems need to reliably support thousands of users executing millions of transactions on huge volume of data these days. Achieving such large volumes of transactions for a big enterprise level application that has hundreds or thousands of functionalities with complex business logics is a big challenge. Intersoft has extensive experience and skills in performance engineering of enterprise systems.
This includes :
- analysing the system performance under load
- optimizing software code or hardware changes or network traffic routing with right analysis to achieve the desired scale and performance.
Performance of the software systems is critical to success of a business, consequently it becomes mandatory to verify and optimize the systems to perform under desired load before they get used in production to prevent failures, business interruptions and reputation loss. Modern Enterprise Software Systems require capability to handle large volume of users, data, transactions and maintain integrity under load with fast response time of couple of seconds to the end users. This makes performance engineering a critical aspect of overall software development life cycle. Intersoft has a well-defined process and mature Performance Engineering capability that has proven successful in enabling many enterprise applications to scale to desired levels.
The high-level approach for performance engineering can be abstracted to these points
Verify and certify the system capability for supporting desired concurrency, transaction volume and continuous availability.
Plan performance measurement by setting up system on planned infrastructure with expected data volume and concurrent user load.
Figure out the performance boundaries of a system on a specified environment.
Optimize the software code for minute issues detected using specialized coding techniques and practices.
Measure system’s performance under a certain workload on a specified infrastructure.
Analyze the system behavior at individual component and function level minutely with right tools.
Adjust the hardware and network setup if that is affecting performance.
Measuring system performance is an important part of performance engineering. Some of the popular open source tools used by Intersoft in Load Testing are Apache JMeter, Blazemeter with browser extension, OpenSTA.
- Micro Focus LoadRunner (earlier HP)
- Visual Studio Enterprise and Azure DevOps (formerly known as VSTS)
- IBM Rational Performance Tester
- Silk Performer
- Load Impact
We employ monitoring tools like App Dynamics, New Relic, Perf Monitor to minutely study the system functioning under load and capturing important parameters during Load Test.
Under the Intersoft load testing process, a system is hosted on a specified hosting infrastructure with load balancing and replicated database server as per well calculated hardware specifications required for the test to be run. After scope has been identified and test scripts and data scripts have been created, the System is subjected to a calculated load, which is increased in steps from basic up to maximum load determined for the test depending upon system load requirements. It is important to continually do performance enhancements of blocking areas identified as we increase the load. In the Intersoft Performance Testing process, various performance attributes are validated.
- • Load Test is used to determine how system performs under a given load.
- • Stress Test is executed to understand what level of load a system can endure before it will collapse/fail or slow down to unacceptable levels.
- • Fail-over test validates a system's ability to be able to allocate extra resource and to move operations to back-up systems when system is under peak anticipated load and one of the web nodes dies.
- • Reliability is tested by subjecting the system to a practical load for a prolonged period to understand how system will behave in the continuous run.
- • Baseline test is done to validate that system can perform time critical operations when system is running on a production size database with genuine load.
- • Rendezvous Tests are done to examine how system behaves when a practical number of users are executing a common scenario.
- • There are set metrics to capture and understand the output of a load test.
- • The auto reportable metrics often captured from the load testing tool itself are Transaction response time, Hits per second, throughput and transactions per second.
- • These metrics are collectively compared with system metrics like CPU clock frequency utilization, memory utilization, Disk space utilization, Thread count, Disk read write counters, Technology specific (e.g. ASP.NET) counters, host (e.g. IIS) specific counters, Database Specific (E.g. SQL Server) counters, advanced system counters for Memory, CPU, Disk, Network.
- • Along with these, it is also important to validate the occurrence of planned transactions in the application database. In addition, during the load test, system is also tested manually to note down user observations at the time of peak load.
The key aspect of performance engineering is the ability to detect performance bottlenecks and come up with right solutions either by optimizing software code or system infrastructure. Intersoft has expert architects and specialists who have great experience and knowledge in entire performance engineering domain. Based on the observations of load test, detailed reports are prepared to depict current system behavior and identify areas that require optimization to enhance system performance to desired level. We have developed special coding techniques in different application tiers to achieve functionalities in a way that result in optimal code as well as meet end user requirements.
Intersoft has performance engineering experience of successfully scaling up large scale enterprise systems. Many of the clients have benefited from Intersoft expertise in performance engineering to achieve high performance for large-scale applications which have been continuously supporting sustained load over a long period in production. Contact Intersoft to make your systems high performing, scalable, stable under real production load and for any query related to application performance.